8.26.2009

Funny People

Directed by:Judd Apatow
Running Time: 2h 26min

Not very funny. Am i the only one who thinks Apatow is overrated? Sure, the resurgence of dramedy for adults that he's leading has been refreshing, but someone has to show the guy how to cut a movie down to a suitable length. He's not Scorcese! All the actors are fine, but a documentary that shows what life is like for a stand-up comedian off stage would provide more interesting drama, (and probably a LOT more laughs) than this film delivers. Should have stuck to one or two simple themes, as this film gets too crowded and off base when it comes to its tone and content.

Grade: C

3 comments:

Lee said...

I don't know Joe. I thought this film was honest and original. It wasn't perfect but it conveyed emotion and seriously funny moments. I agree it was too long and overcrowded, but I still liked it, and I liked the ambition.

Joe James said...

Thanks, Lee.
i like when dissenting opinions are given, because we all bring a different viewpoint to a movie.
i agree with you about the ambition. i'd much rather have a movie attempt to get all of real life into it than glaze over things. Too much IS better than too little.

Graham said...

Gonna side with Lee on this one. I kind of felt it was a two act movie that had no bridge from one act to the other. I thought this was a little different from the usual Apatow. Don't get me started on overrated directors. Mr. Burton I'm looking in your direction!