3.29.2007

Dukes of Hazzard:the Beginning


Directed By: Some guy I don't know
Starring: Some guy I don't know
Another guy I don't know
Some hot girl I would like to know
Uncle Jesse: Willie Nelson
Running time: 95 Minutes

A prequel to the 2005 film takes us back to how the two Duke boys met and the trouble they got into in Hazzard county. While the original film had an up and coming core of actors, Johnny Knoxville, Sean William Scott and a great performance by Jessica Simpson (if you turn the sound off) the new cast has nothing to offer. Why this TV franchise was granted a second chance in film is beyond me. Often I have wondered how the General Lee came to be, how Roscoe got his badge and how the Daisy Duke shorts were invented and now I know. I really don't need to get into what the story is or what happens, it may seem like I am lazy on this review but really I am bitter at having wasted 95 minutes of my sweet life.

If you are a fan of the show you may appreciate the origins mentioned above, but even then there are a lot of inconsistencies most glaringly the rampant use of cell phones. Never mind that they were decades from being invented but where in Hazzard county would the tower be? Maybe that can be the basis for the next Dukes movie: Boss Hogg takes over the cell towers so that the local residents can't text each other about when the next moonshine convention is. (as stupid as it sounds there actually was a moonshine convention in this movie). If you grew up watching the Dukes of Hazzard as I did it had a cool factor for its time but try watching an episode now. As hard as it is to believe it lasted 7 seasons!! Think of it this way everyone can name the car but very few people can name even one of the actors, catch my drift...BRING ON THE KNIGHT RIDER MOVIE!!!

No comments: